Sunday, 2 August 2015

Travel: Rome

If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed I recently went on a city break to Rome. This was my first visit to Italy and I can truly say, I loved it. I don't think I have ever visited a city that has so much history and so much to see. Literally, every corner you turned, stood the most amazing historical building.

We arrived late on the Saturday evening and after two bus journeys from the airport we found our hotel (Hotel Della Conciliazione) tucked away behind the Lenonine Wall, a street away from the Vatican City. The street was lined with restaurants, bars and ice cream parlors filled with locals (always a good sign). I don't think we could have picked a better place to stay.

As soon as we arrived at our hotel, we dumped our bags, touched up our make-up, found a pizzeria around the corner and stuffed our faces. Once we had finished, we took a midnight stroll around the outside of the Vatican City which looked absolutely beautiful lit up at night. 

The following day we went on the bus tour, which I hate to say wasn't very good. I couldn't see very much as we were downstairs due to the top deck being full and a lot of the landmarks the bus can't really get close enough to. We got off the bus to find the Trevi Fountain, which unfortunately is closed for maintenance at the moment. It was a bit disappointing we never got to see it in it's fully glory but I could still appreciate it was stunning. In the afternoon, we then went to Colosseum and Palentine Hill. Both were equally amazing and well worth the visit but be prepared to queue for Colosseum. 








On the third day we went to Vatican, again, be prepared to queue if you haven't purchased tickets in advance. Lucky we did and paid extra to take the guided tour. The Vatican is huge and there is lot to take in but it has to be one of the most beautiful buildings (inside and out) I've ever seen. 






On our final day we took a boat tour down the river Tervere and did some last minute exploring. I don't think we saw half of what Rome has to offer as there is just so much to see and so little time (as a lot of it is spent queuing) but it just gives me an excuse to go back.



My Top Tips
  • Compare hotel prices on ebookersTravel Republic and Expedia to find the best rate and don't forget to click via Quidco or Topcashback to claim cashback on your booking as sometimes you can earn as much as £50 back.
  • Be prepared to queue in the height of the season (up to 4 hours for the Vatican) so make sure you allow time for this so you can fit in as much as possible. 
  • Make sure you have plenty of sun screen and water. You can fill up your water bottle in fountains you see around the city as this is safe to drink. 
  • If you are visting the Vatican you will be expected to cover up legs and shoulders, particularly when in the Sistine Chapel. 
  • A scarf is always useful in your bag incase you are expected to cover your shoulders in some of the religious monuments. 
  • Make sure you get on the top deck if going on the bus tour as you won't see much on the bottom. Infact, I would avoid all together and just walk or take to metro around the city as I didn't think the bus tour was the best way to see the landmarks. 
  • Don't be afraid to a haggle, this saved us 3 euros each of the price of our boat ticket.

Where is your next adventure?

Twitter / Bloglovin' / Instagram / Facebook / Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. I have a city break booked to visit NYC soon but I am already looking to plan my next trip. I've been looking at Italy, both Venice and Rome, but your post has certainly swayed me more towards Rome. Looks like you had a fab time, lovely pics.

    Caitlin xxx (www.insite-business.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rome is a beautiful city. I would love to see more of Italy, Venice is also on my list. xx

      Delete
  2. Ahh Roma.. On my list of places to visit 2016!! Thanks for the tips and great photos.

    www.nothingbutvelvet.com

    ReplyDelete