Sunday, 15 March 2015

Travel: Tallinn

If you follow me on Instagram then you may have noticed my recent city break to Tallinn in Estonia.

When I told people I was going to Tallinn most of them had no idea where it was. Tallinn is Estonia's largest city and is situated in the North of Estonia across the water from Helsinki (Finland). The city is made up of the old and new town. The old town, a world heritage site, is one of the most beautiful cites I have ever visited. It was like something out of a fairy tale and you could easily spend hours wondering the cobbled streets even when it was -5.

Unfortunately, there are no direct flights to Tallinn from Scotland so we had to go via London. We flew from Glasgow to London and then London to Tallinn with easyJet but it was totally worth that extra flight.

We stayed in The Hotel St Peterborough  which is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. It was rated as a 4 star but I would say it was a 5 star hotel. The rooms were gorgeous, the food delicious and staff couldn't have been more helpful. I booked a a 5 night stay via ebookers as they offered the best rates.

Image Source 

When we arrived that afternoon , my boyfriend found a Irish bar around the corner to watch the Celtic game and I had a massage at the hotel. The rest of our days were spent exploring the old town, drinking hot chocolates and eating out. We also went ice-skating, took a bus tour and a day trip to Helsinki.

As we visited in February, it was very quiet but I loved that because it felt like we had the city to ourself. We even had the whole ice rink to ourself. Our driver, that took us from the airport to the hotel told us it was not unusual for the temperature to drop to -25 in February but I loved walking about in the snow and luckily it never became that cold.
.
Tallinn Old Town 
Tallinn Old Town
Tallinn Old Town from The Times we had View Point
Ice Skating 
The Times we had view point
Pikk Jalg (The oldest street in Tallinn)
The Times we had view point
Tallinn Old Town
Pikk Jalg 
Tallinn Old Town
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
Kiekindekok
View of Old & New Town
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

As I mentioned above, we took a day trip to Helsinki. We bought our tickets the day before from a local travel agent and paid around £30 each (depending on the exchange rate at the time). We took the 7.30am boat which took 2 hours and returned on the 5.30pm and had plenty of time to wonder around the city. There was a tram line at the ferry terminal which took us directly into the city center for 2 euros. As you can see from the pictures it was pretty cold that day and the water had frozen over. 

Helsinki Harbour
Helsinki Harbour
Helsinki Cathedral 
Love Bridge 
If you are looking for a city break then I would highly recommend Tallinn. I would go back in heartbeat.

My Top Tips
  • Stay in the heart of the old town. I highly recommend the The St Petersbourg Hotel.
  • Compare hotel prices on ebookers, Travel Republic and Expedia to find the best rate and don't forget to click via Quidco or Topcashback to claim cashback on your booking as sometimes you can earn as much as £50 back.
  • If you are staying in the old town, I would recommend booking a transfer from the airport instead of attempting public transport as I couldn't see any trams/bus services that ran through the old town and you don't want to be dragging your suit case over those cobbles. We used Shuttle Direct and it only cost £20 return for the two of us. 
  • Take a day trip to Helsinki. For £30 return you can knock another country/city of your list.
  • Avoid Eating in the main square. Like most cities the food is more expensive and not always the best in the main square. Take a walk down the wee cobbled lanes to find the best places. 
  • Talk a walk up to the view points as you will get the best photo of the old city of Tallinn.
  • Two of my favourite hidden gems were Sinilind Cafe and Matilda Cafe

If you like this post follow please follow me on Bloglovin.

Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. The photos look gorgeous - Tallinn was already on my list of places I want to visit, but this has pushed it up even higher!! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roisin, it was on my list for ages. So glad I visited. xx

      Delete
  2. This looks absolutely beautiful - def one I will be adding to my list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I highly recommend a visit xx

      Delete