Saturday, 25 May 2013

Road Trip

Last weekend me and my man went a road trip up to the Scottish Highlands and Islands.  We were even lucky enough to have the sunshine for most of our trip which was a huge bonus because Scotland is the one of the most beautiful countries when the sun comes out.

We left Glasgow early Thursday morning, stopping off for a picnic at Eilean Donan Castle and by lunch time we had reached the Isle of Skye. We decided to stay in Portree for the night which is the biggest town on the Island and not far from where we had to take the ferry the next day.



Eilean Donan Castle

Portree Harbour



We stayed for 1 night in Skye before moving on to the next Island.  On the way to Uig the following morning, (to take the ferry to Harris) we stopped off in a little village called Dunvgan where I stubbled across a little cake shop called Jan's Cakes. This little shop sells the most amazing cakes and chocolates I have ever seen and of course with me being such a food pervert, I had to purchase a slice to take away and eat on journey. I bought a slice of belgium chocolate and banoffee pie for £4.99, yes that's right people £4.99 for a slice of cake but it was worth every penny!! Defo worth a visit if you ever visit the Island.

Jan's Cakes


We then took the boat from Uig to Tarbet (Isle of Harris). If you have heard of Harris them I am sure you will have heard of Harris Tweed.  The shop sits just off the ferry terminal so really easy to find when you arrive. From there we had a 50 minute drive to our 3rd and final Island, The Isle if Lewis.

We spent the rest of the weekend in Lewis visiting my oldest friend Claire who has recently bought a cottage and spent the last year doing it up. I love visiting Claire, she is also such a good host and staying with her is sometimes better than a hotel.


Boat from Uig to Tarbet

Room at Hotel Claire's

We spent the rest of the weekend exploring the Island, partying at Claire's and had BBQ on the beach. One of my favourite things about the Isle of Lewis is the beaches. They are miles long, so quiet and better than any beach I have ever been to while on holiday. In my view they are the best beaches in the world!

I really do love living in Scotland!

Exploring

Celebrating Claire's 30th

Stoll along the beach

Tolsta Beach

Best Beaches in the World

If you like this post you might like:

In Bruges

2 comments:

  1. the beaches up north are just stunning aren't they?! so funny to see your shot of the castle because we often stay with friends who have a home right next to there

    Thankfifi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beaches are just gorgeous. Your friends are lucky to have such a beautiful view. It was just a shame they had scafolding up that day. Tried my best not to get it in the picture.

      Delete