Sunday, 5 May 2013

In Bruges

A few weekends ago I spent a long weekend in Bruges.  If you have seen the film In Bruges, I think it totally sums it up. It's a beautiful city but not a lot to do, especially at night. Saying that I loved Bruges and would definitely go back some day. 

When I first looked into going to Bruges, I was slightly put off by the fact there was no direct flights however, when we arrived I was surprised at how easy it was to get to Bruges. We flew into Brussels International Airport and took a train from the Airport to Brussels Nord and from there a train to Bruges.  The journey only took an hour and a half and it was quite a nice journey passing through Brussels and Ghent on the way.  It cost 39 Euros for a return ticket from the Airport to Bruges which I thought was pretty reasonable.  When we arrived in Bruges the city centre was just a 10 minute walk from the station and easy to find.

Bruges is busy city in the day with bus loads of tourists but at night it really quietens down and not a lot goes on after 10 o'clock. But if you are a fan of eating chocolate or drinking beer you will be quite happy in Bruges. The streets are lined with café/bistros and chocolate shops. One thing I will say about Bruges, the food is pretty amazing. I started off every morning with a Belgium Waffle. 

If you are visiting Bruges anytime soon then I definitely recommend a visit to Bruges Brewery and a canal cruise, each costing around 7 euros.  One other good thing about Bruges, the train station has good links to nearby cities Ghent, Brussels and Antwerp. We took a day trip to Ghent which was well worth it. It took 23 minutes on the train and cost around 7 Euro for a return ticket. So that's 2 more cites knocked off my list. Hmm where to go next............
















2 comments:

  1. I love Bruges, it's such a beautiful city. We had fun & hired a tandem to cycle around!
    Would love you to check out my latest outfit post :)
    Have a wonderful weekend Hun xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you! Bruges is lovely but theres not a lot to do!!

    it is indeed very pretty and there are some yummy places to eat! The waffle looks incredible too hahahaha!

    Layla xx

    http://www.laylasmakeup.com

    http://www.layladbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete